Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Kubota zd331 I turned the key and the lights went out and now

Customer Question

Kubota zd331 I turned the key and the lights went out and now nothing won't start
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to test with? Battery and cable connections are the fist thing to check. Next would be the fuses. The power for the dash comes from the same terminal on the solenoid as the posiitve battery cables attaches to. Then goes through the fuses, to the keyswitch. Power is lost there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses and all r good next I put a jumper across the safety's nothing. My mower started fine I turn the key the first 3 lights light then one day I turn the key the lights light then go out and will not start.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you check the battery voltage and the cables?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery 74%
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
?? Battery voltage above 12.5 volts? Same voltage at key and starter solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to turn the key to have voltage at solenoid also should I only have it on one spot on switch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid has voltage from the battery all the time, on the large post. The small post only gets voltage when key is turned to start. The keyswitch should have voltage at the battery post, before it is turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 12.5volts at selomoid and battery.its a lot of volts to get key switch out but I have same there.now what?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you jump the starter solenoids positive battery post, to the small switch pot does the engine spin? It should ,if the battery , cables , solenoid and starter are good. ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it spun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's that mean it's not getting power to the starter ,where would that come from
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Comes off the keyswitch, to the switch wire on solenoid.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
But safety switches will keep it from working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a jumper on safety switches and nothing changed.anuthing else I can try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do the lights come into affects.so ur saying if could be the switch.would anything else keep the switch from sending power.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have volt/ohm meter to check the continuity of the switches and harness
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Keyswitch can be bad!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I ohmed the key switch and have coutinutity at different places as the key is turned...I'm kinda getting fed up and may just take it to the shop if we can't figure it out.i checked the fuses the volts to starter battery key switch all the safety switches were jumped.idk
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have continuity from the switch wire on the key switch , to the switcj wire on the solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up taking my mower to shop and they found a loose wire, thanks for your help but im not satisfied with not having a fixed answer.. when the lights by the switch do not come on its got something to do with the grounds wire which I learned from the shop...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply!