Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a john deere 6210 open cab. I had a break hang up on

Customer Question

I have a john deere 6210 open cab. I had a break hang up on it and got metal in the system. Got all that fixed. It was moving fine but I took all the valve bodies off the front of trans and cleaned everything. Put it back on filled it with fluid and worked good for abt 5 min and now it wont move. It acts like it wants to but just won't pull. Could there be more trash hanging in a valve or something or anything electronic that I'm missing.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Most likely there was som more metal that traveled through the system and into one of the valves causing it to stick or possible a failed o ring bypassing pressure. I would recheck your work since this occurred right after the valve work. Let me know if you nee more help and I will be glad to help on my next available login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be possible to have air in it and it cause to act like that. Reason I ask is because all the hydraulics work fine but dnt know if there is just one pump that runs all or if the trans is seperate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other thing I did was checked to make sure I had fluid pressure. Since I dnt have a Guage for this I loosened the hydraulic filter on the trans and it blew shit everywhere. Lol so I assume it pumping like it should. I will pull valve body off 2moro and go through it again. Just acts like the clutch isn't engaging and wld make u think its not getting fluid. So hopefully it's just got a valve stuck cause it had tons of metal in it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. With the metal you found in the system you could have a faulty charge pump . Since the hydraulics work the hydraulic pump is likely not part of the problem. Go to this link to access the online parts catalog and go to the sectional index and then view the charge pump in the hydraulic section. Check the charge pump for damage or excessive wear. Let me know http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.homepageservlet_alt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is charge pump located
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The remote mount filter lines should be going to it towards the rear of the tractor. Here is the diagram.You can access the page through the parts link I posted as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.... here's what I've got now. Wld a blown or torn gasket on the filter housing cause it not to move. I took everything apart and cleaned it. Had a little metal but not much. I just noticed on the filter housing gasket that it had clutch and pump on the housing and the gasket looked like it may have gotten tore some so just wondering if it cld be pumping pressure over somewhere else. It's not leaking on the ground or anything
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. Yes it is possible that there is excessive internal leakage and pressure bypassing. Also it is possible to suck in air on the suction side and starve the pump for oil. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last thing and I think I may have it. Is the charge pump what actually runs the trans
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the power reverser, synchro plus, or power quad transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think maybe I found the prob but not sure. On the front valve body next to the gear selector is a valve that hangs dwn with a snap ring retainer. It holds a piston with three springs in it. One big spring and two small ones each inside the other. I dnt know what it called. But all the springs are broke. Maybe a pressure valve of some sort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent u a screen shot. Let me know if u get it please. It's 23 24 25. I thinks it called a control valve but not positive.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. Yes that is the control valve. Since the springs are broken you can replace the springs and o rings as well as polish the spools with fine crocus cloth for assembly but I recommend pulling the other valves and plugs as well to be sure there is no metal pieces lodged elsewhere in that control valve that will cause more trouble. I would clean, inspect, and reseal the valve. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okie dokie. I dnt mean to sound stupid, but with springs being broke in that valve cause the trans not to shift and the pto not engage right
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Between that and the possibility of metal getting into the other parts of the valve the spools will not shift opening up the oil passages for the oil to flow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok man, I will let u know. I Shld have the springs in a cpl days. I will get u rated and paid. Thanks for all ur help. I know how difficult it is trying to help people when u can't be there to see the problem ur self
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Pleasure to help.