Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 2003 JD L120 Lawn Tractor. It sat a year

Customer Question

I have a 2003 JD L120 Lawn Tractor. It sat for over a year because I was to lazy to attemp to fix the deck-one or 2 pulleys are bad. I decided to at least fix up the tractor to be able to pull a yard roller this spring. Changed plugs, oil & filter, air filter,gas filter & battery. Gas tank was empty so put fresh gas in it. It starts really hard-lots of cranking. When it does start, you have to leave the choke wide open or it dies. Had my young neighbor help me tonite & we put some Sea Foam cleaner in gas to see if that might help unstick the floats? I let it run at medium speed for 10 minutes but still wont run without choke wide open. My manual says there are not adjustments to be made. What else could it be? Thanks for any suggestions.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Start at the carburetor, does the electric solenoid in the base, fully retract as soon as the key is turned on? That could cause hard start. But I would also run a cylinder test. Loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling, remove one plug wire at a time. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing, check it for spark and compression, If it has both, then remove the valve cover and check the valve operation, Briggs may have a broken or bent pushrod.