dd85
dd85, Foreman
Experience:  Service manger for over 18 years in same Dealership
15057492

On my ford 7840 tractor 1996 model the pto continually turns

Customer Question

on my ford 7840 tractor 1996 model the pto continually turns . how do i fix it ?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
A couple of questions Please.1. Does the PTO turn when you first start the tractor?2. Do you run a Bush hog on this tractor?3. Is this a FWA unit?4. Any error codes coming up? 5. Which transmission do you have? 12 x 12 ? 16 x 16 ?6. If a 16 x 16 transmission have you calibrated the transmission lately?7. Will the PTO in the OFF position pull a full load?Why I would like to know these answers is because the transmission type dictates which hydraulic system you have.An error code may lead us to the cause of the problem.If FWA we need to see if the FWA is engaged all the time or is shutting off. The same hydraulic pressure operates the FWA, PTO Drive, and PTO Brake, Transmission pressure and transmission lube.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Before you start a repair, we need to know what caused the failure.
If you are running a Bush Hog or something that keeps turning after you shut the PTO off , then you may have burnt out the PTO brake.
If the Low Pressure Services pressure is low you may have slipped the PTO clutch disks and warped them. This causes the disks to run against each other and keep turning.
To repair this you would have to find the cause of the low pressure.
To fix the PTO you must remove the 3 point arms, then remove the 3 point cover.
If you will reply I will attach the pages from the Service Manual.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need a question answered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
toCustomerforeman my 7840 sle 16x16 fwa ford 96 model my pto keeps turning wont deliver full power in off position
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Could you answer these questions so I have some troubleshooting to know which way to go? A couple of questions Please.1. Does the PTO turn when you first start the tractor?2. Do you run a Bush hog on this tractor?3. Is this a FWA unit?4. Any error codes coming up?5. Which transmission do you have? 12 x 12 ? 16 x 16 ?6. If a 16 x 16 transmission have you calibrated the transmission lately? Why I would like to know these answers is because the transmission type dictates which hydraulic system you have.An error code may lead us to the cause of the problem.If FWA we need to see if the FWA is engaged all the time or is shutting off. The same hydraulic pressure operates the FWA, PTO Drive, and PTO Brake, Transmission pressure and transmission lube.