Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My 8430t tracks wouldn't stay centered and have damaged the

Customer Question

my 8430t tracks wouldn't stay centered and have damaged the center lugs
how do I reset and what needs yo be changed
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I see no one has helped you yet, I would like to assist you will this problem if you still need help.The track system is mostly a copy of the CAT design. I think you will find failed bearings in the front wheel support bearing and pins.This was common for CAT for machines that had a lot of hours or worked in rough terrain.I would plan on removing the track and inspecting the assembly to find the worn or damaged parts first. If you do not fix the failed components first, the alignment will not give you enough adjustment to correct the belt wear problem.You have alignment bolts behind the front wheel that will change the "toe in" for the belt. Every machine I have done always had seized bearings and required lots of soaking to free the parts. Once I get the alignment parts to move, I could then install the wheel and belt for tension and alignment.I don't have a clue as to the tools needed to release and apply the tension. I think you can use the tractor remotes as the same way CAT does it but, the couplers are different. Old models were bad to work on and had problems adding and holding pressure. You may need to see your dealer to get the tooling to safely add pressure in the tension cylinder with taking great risk.If I can help you further with this, I will be glad to give you the pointers I have for working with CAT systems. Hopefully, it will be enough to get your tractor fixed.Just let me know what I can do.Thanks, Donnie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I thought I might have to go through the whole tension wheel in front. Jay
That is where CAT had the most problems. I heard that Deere had used smaller bearings and had more problems but, I have only helped on one JD machine that went to our shop. I have done several CAT machines and it was quite a job replacing all the pins and bearings. Only two of them were actually repaired with just soaking with penetration oil.CAT had to modify the first series tractor because the bearing supports were too weak. A gusset was added and most of the bend issues were solved. (Rental machine were abused terribly).Do you need help with this repair or are you planing to send it to the dealer?