Leon Poston
Leon Poston,
Experience:  Owner at Han-Liv Inc.
11213383

We have a JD 8120. It popped the cap on the oil filter, screwed

Customer Question

We have a JD 8120. It popped the cap on the oil filter, screwed it back in and it popped out again. The thread looked cross thread, so we replaced the cap. Ran for a couple of minutes and blew a hole in the oil cooler cover. Also, heavy smoke and low power. Was running fine with the cap popped the first time. Any ideas.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Leon Poston replied 1 year ago.
I am Leon. I will try to help.
I would check the crank case vent. It should be a tube coming out of the valve cover and goes straight down to the bottom of the engine. Start it and see if air is coming out of it. If it does hold you hand over it for 30 seconds or so and let go. See if it builds pressure. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problems are on the pressure side, how would crankcase pressure be the problem?
I apologize, I thought you said oil filler plug. How high is your oil pressure? I will opt out. Hopefully a John deere mechanic would be more help with the specifics of that unit. If you want me to still help, let me know. I do have an idea what the issue is but not sure where it is located on that machine.