Rex L.
Rex L., Contractor
Experience:  Work on AG- Contruction and industrial equipment
34138167

MY John Deere 300X will move forward a short distance but then

Customer Question

MY John Deere 300X will move forward a short distance but then jerks and then stops. It will still go for a while in reverse but then that also stops? Could this be the belt or is this the transmission problem I keep seeing mentioned on the 300X series? It is an older model although I do not know the age for certain. At least 5+ years old.
If it is the transmission is it worth replacing on an older model like this?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Check the belt and the two idlers on the belt to make sure they are good and belt is riding on the correctly. If belt is running correctly check the transmission pulley and make sure it is not stripped on the splines on transmission shaft. Normally if it is stripped they make a lot of rattle noise. If everything checks out them most likely transmission. As far if it is worth a new transmission depends on if you still like it and what shape its in. These are about $900 for the transmission.