Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a JD 4600, 1990. i have trouble keeping it primed. i

Customer Question

i have a JD 4600, 1990. i have trouble keeping it primed. i open the injectors to get the fuel primed today and by tomorrow i have to do it again. is there a fix
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuel has to be draining back to the tank after shutoff. The fuel transfer pump is what should keep fuel from draining back. It has check valve to keep fuel flowing in one direction only. I think you need a new transfer pump. You could test the drain back theory by pinching off the fuel supply line when you shut tractor off, then open the line when you go to use it again. If it starts and does not need priming, the fuel is draining back.