Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

How do I troubleshoot weak brakes on a '91 WA 420-1 loader

Customer Question

How do I troubleshoot weak brakes on a '91 WA 420-1 loader?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the hydrovac canisters( Master cylinders) to see if the warning pin has popped out indicating a leak in the system. This will be near the electrical switch on the narrow body of the master cylinder. Also check to see if the reservoirs smell like brake fluid as this should be mineral oil or 10W hydraulic. Brake fluid will eat the seals and destroy the friction discs in the axles also causing the brake pistons to leak internally into the axles. You can pressure test each brake with a bucket pump or portapower with a shut off valve and gauge. Pump to 350 PSI and close the valve. The brake should hold pressure. If not the axles and brakes have to come apart for repair. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was a waste of my money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer was way too slow! When I pay good money for information I expect comprehensive and quick responses.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Sorry you are dissatisfied with the site. Experts that help on here most have full time jobs or businesses and help on here part time. Our time is voluntary and only get credited a percentage of the question value for positive feedback and accepted answers. I help on here in between jobs and as I am able. I get 75- 125 an hour for my repair business and log in here when I can. I have not gotten paid anything for my time helping you. I logged in, looked at the board and saw your question that I knew I could help with. Unfortunately there might not have been any experts logged in at the time you posted familiar with your machine. I worked for my local Komatsu , Deere, Volvo, and Cat Dealers before going independent. I will opt out in case there might be someone else that has more time to sit by the computer and assist. Good luck with your repair.