Rex L.
Rex L., Contractor
Experience:  Work on AG- Contruction and industrial equipment
34138167

New John Deere 825i. Less than 30 hours. Light use. Check

Customer Question

New John Deere 825i. Less than 30 hours. Light use. Check livestock, haul a few 5 gallon buckets of feed to the pigs and sheep, buzz along the logging trails, more for fun than anything. When I put it into gear, it won't go forward. Instead I hear a loud pop and intense grinding like something isn't fully engaging in the rear of the vehicle. Obviously I have to take it back to the dealer, and yes, it's under warranty, but I want to know what is going on. While my father was engaging the drive mechanism, I was on the passenger side watching, and I could see the rear driveshaft pop and spin, with the grinding noise of course accompanying it. What has happened?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Either the cvc joint went out or the axle has spun in the wheel drive hub on the spines. Worse case would be the axle has spun in the transmission but haven't seen that happen yet.