Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a JD 509 bush hog and leaks oil bad. will have to try

Customer Question

I have a JD 509 bush hog and leaks oil bad. will have to try to fix in the woods - I have it tipped on its side and have the blades off and looks like it leaks where the blade is attached. Suggestions on how to replace the seal????
K0509021331W AW17919
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Deere shows 6 differnet gear boxes for the 509. And I don't find the seal number AW17919 listed. But with cutter, you have to remove the blade adapter/dishpan that bolts to the center shaft. on some models it is a splined shaft and should be easy off. On other units, it has a tapered shaft and requires a puller to pull the adapter off the shaft, or a big hammer to break the taper loose. With the adapter off, there is a dust cover/shield that is removed, then the seal can be removed. Sheet metal screws into the seal makes it easier to pull out.