dd85
dd85, Foreman
Experience:  Service manger for over 18 years in same Dealership
15057492

All of a sudden while mowing hay today, all my odd gears stopped

Customer Question

All of a sudden while mowing hay today, all my odd gears stopped working. Each tries to engage but won't take off. Any suggestions?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is on a 2004 New Holland TM190
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Is this a Power Command transmission? A B and C ranges?Have you got any error codes?Have you tried to calibrate the transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is 18 foward and 6 reverse. No fault or error codes and have no calibrated it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is 18 forward and 6 reverse. There are no fault codes and no I have not calibrated it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to calibrate it?
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Okay that is a Range Command. I have attached the calibration instructions. If you get an error code during calibration let me know what it is.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Did it calibrate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So yes, I calibrated it and the tractor worked fine for 15 or so minutes. I started mowing hay again and it did it again. All odd gears went out. I turned the tractor off, let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. It worked fine again for 15 min or so and did it again. Do you think that the mile per hour speed of the tractor is out of sequence, if that makes any sense. The top speed of this tractor should be around 26 miles an hour and right now it is around 22. Let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
No errors came up while calibrating? The Speed is set by the tire size so it may be set wrong but that shouldn't cause it to stop with out an error code.Try calibrating again, then shut off for 1 minute, the calibrate again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After calibrating, the letter F does not show up but an A does. Also then when you press the downshift button CF does not show up.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean this time? or both times?Did it make a difference in the way it shifted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the 1st time. We are doing it for the 2nd time as we speak. Haven't drove it sonce but will after this time if we get an F and a CF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The odd gears work for awhile after the tractor has set all night. Then once I start mowing in 11th gear, the odd gears go out after 10-15 minutes of use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got done with the 2nd calibration amd same thing. It showed an A instead of an F and after pressing the downshift button it does not show a CF. It shows no code.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Okay Well at least you got CF Calibration Finished. The F should have shown up when you released the button after the last clutch. Now let set with key off for 1 minute to set the new calibration settingsStill no Error codes coming up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...it NEVER shows a "F" or a "CF". After it is done with the R gear, it immediately shows "A" not the "F" that you are saying. Then after you press the downshift button, nothing shows up. (No "CF")So after doing this calibration twice, I drive it around the barn area, unhook the mower, hook up the rake and all gears are working great. I take it out in the field and start raking and after about 10 minutes, all odd gears went out again.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, The A solenoid valve controls all the Odd gear, The Transmission control valve is located on the top of the transmission, Access through the cab floor board. It sounds like the A solenoid is not working after heating up (should bring up error code?) So If you changed the A solenoid with the B solenoid then when it heats up there would be no even gears, This would tell us that the solenoid is the problem. I have attached pictures of the trans control valve and a parts picture.
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
parts picture
Expert:  dd85 replied 1 year ago.
Did you get a chance to check the solenoid?