Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Hey Kevin have 1780 planter is there a control box to run

Customer Question

Hey Kevin have 1780 planter is there a control box to run from 8760 J D am presently running with 9230 and precision control box would like to go back to 8760 and J D control am willing to go back to ground drive and J D control box behind 8760
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Thank You for requesting me. Being that this is a 2001 planter that tells me that it was originally a John Deere Seedstar controlled planter. Most of the time when precision puts their equipment on these planters they leave most of the original John Deere wiring and equipment on the planter. It sounds like you also have variable rate drive. The VRD setup was growing very common in 2001 and is easy to control with the original equipment, assuming it is still on the planter. The expensive part is the John Deere SeedStar controller, or controllers depending on how many rows you have. The SeedStar controllers should be grey 2"x10" boxes near the mid frame. If the boxes are there and the wiring is there you should have no trouble going back to a Deere controlled setup. For you 8760 you will need a Greenstar Ready harness with the ISO connector to plug the monitor into. You can get a Greenstar ready harness from your local dealer for around $1,500 or you can get a clean simple version from AgExpress.com for closer to $700.00. If the controllers on the planter are grey NOT black you have options for which display you want to use. A Original Greenstar display which is what would have come with the planter is going to cost you $200 to $400 used or close to $1,200 new. Or you can use a newer GS2 1800, 2100, 2600 or a 2630 GS3 display. Many of the 1780 planters also had what is called CAN based frame control meaning that the fold control box tied into the tractor Greenstar harness. If your planter has this style of Fold control box and you choose to order the harness form Ag Express you will need to call them to ensure they put a plug on the harness for the fold control box to plug into. If your planter has a separate harness coming from planter to the fold control box then you do not have CAN based frame control and don't need to worry about it.Please let me know what additional details you might need or anything you would like clarified. Thanks, Kevin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Kevin thanks we have a precision 20 20 control box and display monitor. It controls the fold is there a way to get the 8760 hydraulics to configure to the precision 20 20
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 8670 has 33 gal/min I think Maybe not enough for variable rate drive it would be ok to ground drive it also has air bags and compressor
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for my delayed response. We are right in the middle of planting here and I've had a tough time getting back to the office.There should be no problem with the 8760 running the fold control portion. If you can leave the precision 2020 on the planter it may make it easier then converting back to Deere. If you choose to go with Deere you will need the original fold control box, and a tractor Greenstar harness (Deere or Ag Express).I'm not sure you will have any trouble with running the variable rate. Unlike newer planters with CCS blowers, vacuum blowers, and variable rate you don't have the CCS blower. The variable rate doesn't take a lot of oil to run. If I understand correctly the hydraulic air compressor is a very low volume compressor. It might be worth a try to see if the tractor couldn't handle the planter as is. I do believe you will need to run it at high rpm's at all times but it might be just enough.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Please keep me posted if I can be of further assistance.Thanks,Kevin