Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Just bought 2003 New Holland TC29 and have put about 3 hrs

Customer Question

Just bought 2003 New Holland TC29 and have put about 3 hrs on it in two sessions. It has FEL and 5 ft. Bush hog. I have approx 6 acres of flat mowing. Question is....in my two sessions...the tractor will suddenly refuse to move either forward or backward. First time I shut it off for nearly an hour, restarted and finished job. Today I got it to limp about half way back to barn and finally left it in the field. Is it underpowered, overloaded or broke? I'm used to tractors running like mules or until the job is done. This mule lays down to rest. Is it a clutch, transmission or like problem? Engine starts and runs fine. And let me be clear...it won't pull itself out of its shadows with FEL and shredder raised! Ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What is the transmission? TC 29 shows to be manual transmission, that means your clutch is bad or needs adjustment. Do you have free play in the clutch pedal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't noticed any free play but did notice it was kinda tight and grindy (pedal) today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tractor supposedly has only 324 hrs on it. Bad clutch?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have freeplay in the clutch? If so, yes, you need anew clutch!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does that involve cracking the engine case? Estimated cost?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Tractor has to be split behind engine and transmission. At shop, 8 hrs labor. plus parts. Expect $1500.00 Make them give you estimate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Feel sure guy who sold to me probably knew! Guess I found the used car dealership of tractors! Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but be sure you have th free play in the pedal, or clutch will not engage fully.