Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

We have a Ford 2600 in the shop with fuel leaking around the

We have a Ford 2600 in the shop with fuel leaking around the injectors. Injectors are new (did the same thing with the original injectors), lines are new and all the copper sealing gaskets and cork seals are new. The fuel is not leaking into the combustion chamber and does not seem to leak when the engine is running. When you shut it down and let it sit for about 1/2 hour the fuel shows up around the base of the injectors. It's not running down from the return lines on top as the injector bodies are dry. It will drip a half-cup over-night. Any good ideas?
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Curtis B. :

You have leakage at all three injectors?

Curtis B. :

With new injectors, sealing washers and I assume new return line hoses between the injectors?

Curtis B. :

Cold fuel leak. I would wonder if the fuel is not coming from the retun lines.

Curtis B. :

Same amount showing at all three injector locations?

Curtis B. :

Have you loosened the fuel cap to see if it is pressure from the tank making fuel leak?

Customer:

Yes, all three injectors show fuel leakage and appears to be about the same amount gathering on the head. Return lines and the sealing washers on the banjo bolts are new. The body of the injectors stays dry. I have had some problems sealing the return lines and when they leak the fuel runs down over the entire injector body. Is it possible that the injectors can leak at the threaded joint about half way down the body that is inside the head, filling the hole in the head and seeping out around the cork gasket? I know that's a stretch, but the obvious things aren't working... I've had the fuel cap off and shut off the fuel at the bottom of the tank and I still had fuel on the top of the head this morning.

Curtis B. :

The injectors do have an oring that should seal the body, but that is not usual place for leak. That is high pressure chamber and has to hold full pressure, over 2000 psi, so it should show leak when running, not when off.

Curtis B. :

But I assume you had same problem with old injectors, and new ones did not improve.

Curtis B. :

I feel it is a leak at one fitting, running down to all the other injectors, Engine is at slight angle and leak would be at the front injector , running back to all the others. Not quite sure how you can isolate one injector area from another , without building a dam from gasket sealer or putty. But I bet you have a single leak, showing as it drains down..

Customer:

Is the O-ring internal? the only seal on the outside of the injector is the copper gasket at the bottom, at the combustion chamber and then the cork gasket where the injector bolts to the head. That cork gasket appears to be just a dust seal as there is no sealing surface on the head at that point.

Curtis B. :

Yes, injector o'ring is internal. And you have the copper gasket on bottom to seal the combustion chamber and the cord dust seal on top.

Curtis B. :

cork

Customer:

I'll see if I can isolate each injector area to see if it's all coming from one. That sure would make more sense than all three leaking. It does not seem that this is something major as it starts easily and runs just fine.

Curtis B. :

Yes, I agree, it seems highly unlikely that all would leak!

Customer:

I'm going out for lunch and will be back around noon, if you should have any other ideas. Thanks.

Curtis B. :

Let me know what you find, thank you,

Customer:

I found that it's easy to isolate each injector because of the way the cylinder head is cast. Injectors 2 & 3 are leaking; the fuel is seeping around the cork seal. Not sure of #1 yet. When I pulled out #3 injector the chamber was full of fuel. It looks like the chamber is filling with fuel and seeping past the cork seal. That looks like the leak may be at the threaded joint...Have you run into anything like that?

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Seems unlikely that new or repaired injectors would leak, but anything is possible. I was out with brother in law for our weekly lunch day out!