Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

How to preheat JD 6405 ? Is there a way to plug in overnight

How to preheat JD 6405 ?
Is there a way to plug in overnight ?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Curtis B. :

LX01/LX019762_______UN27JUL98.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.6405REMARKS
1AR50411Wiring Lead1X
2AL116490Coolant Heater1X
3RE524676Heating Element1X120V, (SUB FOR AR62399)
4R206883Washer1X(SUB FOR R47693)
5U13639O-Ring1X
6R54123Adapter Fitting1X
7R54511Nut1XNSEP (ORDER RE524676)
8R44302Tie Band1X
9L100379Clamp1X
10L61885Tie Band1X
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.6405REMARKS
11AR62492Coolant Heater1X110V
Curtis B. :

Here is coolant heater. Do you have this?

Curtis B. :

If not, it is available from Deere.

Customer:

I am trying to start this morning and am looking for a way to preheat.

Curtis B. :

It shows to have this coolant heater as standard equipment, If not, you can get one from Deere.

Curtis B. :

Can you scroll up and see the heater?

Customer:

How is the coolant heater going to help start the motor when cold ?

Curtis B. :

A warm engine will allow the engine to turn faster and the cylinders will be warmer to get the fuel burning easier.

Customer:

So the tractor is not equipped with preheat for the glow plugs ?

Curtis B. :

No, this engine does not have glow plugs!

Customer:

To start now how would I ?

Curtis B. :

You can plug in the coolant heater , which will take a while to warm engine, or use a small amount of starting fluid to help start.

Customer:

I tried starting fluid but chokes the motor down, there is not a coolant heater installed.

Curtis B. :

Starting fluid has to be used in very small amounts, or it will cause more problem than help. If no coolant heater, I would check with Deere and get one for in the future.

Curtis B. :

To start now, you have to warm the engine, I have seen heaters used to warm the oil and engine, one of the blower type heaters.

Customer:

The temp is in the 40s, shouldn't that be warm enough ?

Curtis B. :

Takes a good battery , is engine spinning at normal speed? Just a low battery can be enough to keep engine from starting.

Curtis B. :

Have you had problems before or is this a first? !999 model, have you owned it for a while?

Curtis B. :

40 degree temperatures should not be cold enough to cause hard starting. Do you get any smoke when cranking?

Customer:

I just bought and dont have an owners manual, I am used to glow plugs. This is first cold morning I have needed to crank.

Customer:

I haven't seen any smoke.

Curtis B. :

Maybe just battery not up to snuff. Is battery up in charge and not old?

Curtis B. :

Is engine spinning rapidly? Fuel injection pump has electric solenoid that has to open the fuel to the injectors. No smoke would mean there is no fuel in the cylinders.

Customer:

I will try another battery, I have had it hooked to my truck with jumper cables for an hour.

Curtis B. :

Be sure you have battery voltage to the fuel solenoid, which is the two electrical terminals in the fuel injection pump cover.

Curtis B. :

The 6405 tractors are equipped with a intake preheater instead of glow plugs. To operate the preheater simply turn the key to the run position and push the key in and hold it for 15 to 20 seconds.
CD41/CD41619B_______UN02JUN03.gif
Full Size Image
Curtis B. :

Do you have preheater in the intake?

Customer:

Curtis,

Customer:

I am going to check for the preheater you refered to. I was able to crank the tractor up after the weather warmed up with a better battery.

Customer:

Thanks for all your help.

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.