Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I had my disc hooked up to my tractor(2040). I backed up against

I had my disc hooked up to my tractor(2040). I backed up against a dead tree trying to push it over. The tractor was in reverse pushing aginst the tree. The disk sliped upward on the trunk, putting the hydralics in a bind. The tratcor was spinning and it was in a bind and it died. It was firmly set against the tree. I tried cranking it and the starter would barly turn the engine over. After 4 tries the starter stopped and just clicked. I am wondering if the starter might be engaged with the fly wheel or did the starter solonoid go out or would there be another issue???

Curtis B. :

The hydraulics have the engine loaded up from pressure on the system. I have relieved the pressure by jerking the steering back and forth while cranking. The load is just too much for the starter. If you can't relieve the pressure, the starter will be overloaded and will burn up.

Curtis B. :

Battery might be low now, from the repeated starting tries.

Customer:

Well I have charged the battery, but the starter will not turn the engine over...so your suggestion will not work. Is there sopme way I could bleed the pressure off?

Customer:

What about pulling it in gear and turning the stearing??

Curtis B. :

Sure , if you have something to pull it with. Use a middle gear ratio, not low gear.

Customer:

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my 4WD pickup. I will do this when my bride gets home from work. Hope it will work...

Curtis B. :

Ok, thanks.