Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

3500 Ford Diesel Tractor losing power. The tractor was running

Customer Question

3500 Ford Diesel Tractor losing power. The tractor was running poorly and it sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders rather than 3. While it was running I disconnect the injector one at a time and determined I had a bad injector. I decided to replace all 3 injectors. After changing the injectors, the tractor ran good for a short period. When I crank the tractor, it has full power and within minutes, it starts to lose power. I can switch it off and immediately crank it back up and it will run at full power for a minute or so and then it starts to lose power again. I have changed the fuel and fuel filter, but it didn't help. Could the problem be in the injector pump?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like an answer.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Go to the injection pump and find the return line coming off the injection pump. Remove the line and the fitting it screws into. This fitting is likely plugged. It should have a check valve in it, be sure the check valve is free. If the return line pressure builds in the pump casing, the governor kills the engine. If the debris looks like coffee grounds, the fix will be short lived , as the governor is likely failing. That would require having the pump rebuilt. Let me know. Thank you.,
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You have all the information, I do not need to provide anymore. If you can't resolve the issue, I need to know who I can contact above you!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Go to the injection pump and find the return line coming off the injection pump. Remove the line and the fitting it screws into. This fitting is likely plugged. It should have a check valve in it, be sure the check valve is free. If the return line pressure builds in the pump casing, the governor kills the engine. If the debris looks like coffee grounds, the fix will be short lived , as the governor is likely failing. That would require having the pump rebuilt. Let me know. Thank you., Did you find problem?? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replied to the answer on 4/8. I don't expect to be charged again for reviewing the same answer again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
You never get charged but once. If you read my answer . did you check the injection pump as I asked? You can ask as many questions as you like and the charge is only what you agreed to up front. If you never ACCEPT, your money will just be in your account to be used whenever you decide, or you can ask for a refund. I just try to fix stuff. I have nothing to do with billing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cleaned out the return line. The check valve was very dirty. The tractor seems to be running good now.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Good job. If the return fitting stops up again, you have problems in the injection pump. Thank you!