justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

I have a 05 TL automatic. I had to get the trans redone

Customer Question

I have a 05 TL automatic. I had to get the trans redone because it was slipping out of gear. I thought that would fix the problem knowning how bad they were originally made. Then the lights started to go on and off inside the cabin so i got a new battery but that didn't solve the electrical issue. So then i tested the connection with the battery. It was fine so i thought it might be the altenator since it was still the original 130amp that gives out due to the navigation system never turning completely off. Just replaced that too but it's still not getting power from the battery to the car. I'm thinking it might be the ignition relay fuse or ignition coil
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: it has close to 200k now. it was starting normal until the trans went out.
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i didnt do the trans myself i had that done my a mechanic. Everything else i have done. Replaced the trans, battery and alternator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: is the only place i can get a relay fuse from the manufacturer?
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Please answer these questions for me:

1). Is the engine spinning over when you turn the key to start?

2). Do the dash lights come on and stay on when the key is turned to start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. the engine isn't turning but it is not locked up.2. the dash lights no longer come on even when the key is turned.

so is it turning over sluggishly or does it spin over quickly when turning the key to start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing is happening. the engine isn't spinning or turning. There is no power being produced despite having a new battery and alternator. I have tested the battery terminals already and fuses. Half of the under hood fuses aren't receiving power.

If the dash lights aren't coming on when you turn the key to the ON position then I would suggest the battery is very weak. Have you tried jumping it off recently?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i thought the brand new fully chaged battery would have made that unnecessary?
you are correct that a brand new battery should work, but I just want to make sure we try the most basic things first. If nothing electronic is working the first thing I would do is try a battery jump to make sure the battery is good. Whether it's new or not. Had the vehicle been jumped before the battery was replaced?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the car had been jumped before the battery was replaced, then after the battery was replaced also because of the current issue of no power going from the battery to the engine or interior.

Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No i do not but i can barrow one. What do you suggest?

I would like to know what the voltage is with a meter hooked to the battery terminals. I want to know the battery voltage basically.