david craig
david craig, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Kyle i have Acura MDX 2004. The fuel gage after fill the

Hi Kyle i have Acura MDX 2004. The fuel gage after fill the tank stay full after drive around 165 miles drop to 3/4 tank and still . Im replaced the sending unit already but still. When i disconnnect the sending after couple sec. The needle drop to empty and the light come on.Im test the old sending unit outside and the resistor change from +/_ 100 ohms to zero. Connect back to the hardness and just change from 3/4 to full.😐
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Plus the trip computer doesn't read the amount of the gas either.

both sending units only go down to 3/4 is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with the old one and the new one the needle go down only 3/4 but if I disconnect the sending unit. The needle go to empty and the light come on. Yesterday im filled and the sending unit read Range 262 mi. But after the trip read 3.2 mi , the range stop reading -----.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im still waiting for my first question answer. How you guys want a review.?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mike or whoever you ask me a question you don't give any answer.

Hi Im David, sorry they left you out in the cold ..........you will need to check the wiring to the sending unit due to the intermittent operation. visually inspect it and also perform a continuity test of the wiring. ive attached a print to help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. David, I'll be checking and let you know.

you're welcome. please keep me posted so i can help you get this figured out.

david craig, Acura Mechanic
Experience: owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive

any update?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nop. Its my son cars and hes busy and i dont have any chance to verify yet. Probably i need to remove the driver seat for trace the wiring right?

i would actually start back at the fuel tank area being that thats the area most exposed to corrosion, vibration, chaffing..... hopefully you find the problem before you have to worry about removing any interior

thank you. would you like me to keep this open?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im already replaced the sending unit like month ago and the wire plug and the wiring on that area look okay. That wire run under the chassis or under the carpet?

the wiring will come off the tank and catch a harness before it goes up inside the vehicle. not sure which side once it gets up inside though. if you pull the rear seat you should be able to tell where it comes up into the inside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When i remove the back seat for replace the sending unit in tried to follow the wire but look like run under the driver side door frame cover im not sure.

you'll need to pull the the sill plate at the drivers step in. the harness should run inside a channel underneath the plastic sill plate

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is why when i disconnnect the plug from the sending unit the needle go to empty and the light come up. Im connected the old sending unit out off the tank and with the meter check the ohms. Moving the float up and down and the ohms change from almost zero to 100ohms. But when i connect back to the plug the needle just change from 3/4 to full..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By the way sorry for my spelling, my first language is Spanish im just tried. Lol.

not sure i understand what you are getting at except the resistance on the old sending unit read good but goes right to full when connected. and the new sending unit is doing what?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The same. Just change from 3/4 to full. Plus when i fill up the gas tank the trip computer start to read just like a 1/2 mile and then not read more. Thats happens every time whe is full.

sounds like more than a sending unit problem. you need to take it to the dealer and have the modules scanned to see whick module is faulting. you can only know that by connecting a mazda only diagnostic scan tool.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got acura mdx 2004. Is Not mazda. But thanks anyway for your help.

sorry. meant acura or honda dealer.

i have been working with a customer who has a madza....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im joint a lot of acura forum and a lot of people with the same problem when to the dealer and the dealer said is the sending unit, the gauge etc . but nobody have the problem fixed. David im searching and searching a lot about this problem with not answer yet. Believe i dont trust dealers. Sorry.

i under stand not trusting dealers. but you need to find a shop with a diagnostic tool thats able to read all of the control modules on your vehicle. try pepboys or firestone then