Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

The car wont rev past 4k rpms and ive read that is cause by

Customer Question

The car wont rev past 4k rpms and ive read that is cause by low oil psi and a faulty oil switch but ive checked the oil and changed out the whole VTEC solenoid...so
JA: How many miles since your last oil change?
Customer: maybe 100 miles it was just the other day
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: It's a 2004 base RSX
JA: Are you fixing your RSX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am. I've replaced the solenoid and reset the computer in the car and im about to replace a part of the wire harness going to a pressure sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Matt replied 27 days ago.

Hello

If you have no check engine light then 1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine

If this helps then replace the cap with a new item