Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Can't turn key, Yes but key will not turn, 99Acura tl, 1999,

Customer Question

Can't turn key
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yes but key will not turn
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 99Acura tl
JA: What year is your TL?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just bought it yes am fixing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes tranny.slips early
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to an issue with the key itself being worn.Inspect the key for any damage.If it appears to be worn then it will need replaced.If the key appears to be o.k. then this is usually a fault with the ignition cylinder itself as the tumblers in the cylinder will come apart and cause this here with the cylinder needing replaced or removed and rebuilt by a lock smith.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete