david craig
david craig, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Acura Integra Cranks But Does Not Start.

Customer Question

The 1995 Acura Integra cranks but will not start. It has a 1999 Acura engine.
The voltage at the battery is just over 12 volts.
It has spark and fuel and is an automatic. It will not crank in park but will crank in neutral.
What can I do?
Category: Acura
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David. did this just happen recently or after maintenance has been done on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did the motor swap and could not get it to start after
you swapped an OBD2 motor into an OBD1 car?
And you also replaced the wiring harness, ecu, immobilizer and key transponder?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I only swapped the motor. I used the obd1 distributer, wiring harness, and ecu.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why would it not work?
This is not going to work because the ECU has no idea what size engine is in the car. It has no idea what sensors are in the car. It has no idea what parameters everything should be operating within.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even though both engines are b18b1, they are a different size and have different sensors? What if I use the obd2 ecu and a jumper harness to plug into the obd1 wiring harness?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only different sensor the obd2 engine has is the crank position sensor and the obd1 ecu is not looking for that sensor.
You need to install an ecu from the car the engine was taken from or buy a compatible ecu and have the vehicle reprogrammed. This is not just a plug n play.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is an excerpt from the team integra forum:
"I helped my buddy do this exact conversion on his teg. We put a 96ls motor into a 95ls. We used the 95 Intake Manifold, the 95 distributor (because one was one big harness and the other had two smaller harness going into the distributor.) The 95 wiring harness, I believe there will also be a crank sensor on the obd2 motor that you'll have to leave unplugged. Also did away with the FITV which left a vaccum line from the emission canister that we just capped off. We also use the TB from the 96. This is everything that i can remember off the top of my head. I am assuming that you are not changing the ecu. IF you have any other questions PM me as we just did this swap a few weeks ago and i can ask him as he would remember better than i would because by the time i got there to help he had some of it pulled apart. BTW everything went well, idles great, and no CEL or problems."
Only difference from my situation and theirs is I did not use the OBD2 throttle body. I think my problem might have to do with the car not cranking in Park, but will crank in Neutral.