Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda/Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on Acura and Honda vehicles for over 30 years. I have an associates degree in automotive and factory training.
75670266

My check engine light came on and I got Code P0740 TCC

Customer Question

My check engine light came on and I got Code P0740 TCC Circuit malfunction. My acura has a hard down shift when slowing down it jerks. So we changed the solenoid and after about 200 miles it's doing it again. The light hasn't came back on but is there something else I can check before I replace the tranny?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

P0740 TCC malfunction is a fairly common code. The torque converter clutch material circulates through the transmission plugging up fine internal screens and passages. The clutch material can't be completely removed during a drain and refill or even a flush. Once this code sets it's a bad thing. Replacing the transmission solenoid very rarely works, replacing the transmission is really what's needed.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff