Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

The ABS and VSA and VTM-4 lights stay on my 2006 MDX, Brake

Customer Question

The ABS and VSA and VTM-4 lights stay on my 2006 MDX
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Brake system light also
JA: What is the model of your '06 Acura?
Customer: MDX
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not yet, tried nothing other than resetting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

1st thing to check is the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir

and if its low then I'd check the 4 corners for any signs of leaking or wetness

if this is OK then the quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you