Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech

I filled it up with fuel yesterday, stopped at a store

Customer Question

I filled it up with fuel yesterday, stopped at a store today . when I got back in it today started it up ,the check engine is flashing and it's running very rough
JA: Have you metered out the ignition system?
Customer: how do i do that
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2004 tl
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just went to get fuel treatment and put it in, but I don't think that's the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: its the first time the check engine light has come on,and my car never ran rough before
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 12 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
what do I do now
Expert:  Ron replied 12 days ago.

Your check engine light flashing means the computer system is seeing a direct engine misfire on one or more of the cylinders. When the light flashes the computer will detect it and set and store a fault code and or codes for the misfiring cylinders. In order to determine which cylinder is dropping out you need to start first with having the computer system scanned to retrieve the fault code and or codes. Most parts store such as Auto Zone will run a scan you you at no charge. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can advise you from there. In most cases this is either a failing spark plug and or coil.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok I will get that information to you, gonna take it to a auto zone
Expert:  Ron replied 12 days ago.

Please do and post back with it and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The code read that it was an oxygen sensor bank 2 front, and 4 of the cylinders are miss firing
Expert:  Ron replied 12 days ago.

Can you give me the actual fault codes that you got when it was scanned please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Po 174
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

The code P0174 is a lean code and not an Oxygen sensor code and in most cases this can be set due to either a fuel pressure concern and or an engine vacuum leak and in some cases even dirty injectors. Is the engine still misfiring on 4 of the cylinders?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No,what happened was #5 coil pack was no good, replaced it, the car ran good ,light went out then came back on
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

Okay what was the code that sat when the light came back on, was it the P0174?

Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

Thw bad coil would explain the check engine light flashing for sure.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The light came back on after replacement of coil, could the bank 2 sensor be bad
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

Is the code still the P0174?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will have it checked today
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

If in fact it is this code is not a HO2S sensor code but in fact a lean code usually set in most cases due to an engine vacuum leak on bank 2. Let get it rechecked and work from there.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Will do,thanks for all your help
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

Your very welcome, Ill be off this morning but will check back in this afternoon if you need me.