acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

My 2011 Acura TL has a loud noise only after driving it for

Customer Question

Hello, my 2011 Acura TL has a loud noise only after driving it for a while. It definitely sounds like the humming of power steering, plus the steering wheel seems tighter. No warning lights have come on. I believe it has EPS, so no need for fluid. Any suggestions? I'm afraid to take it to the dealer because they won't be able to replicate the problem without driving it all day.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer My name is***** here to help you with your problem. Your problem is most likely a bad alternator bearing and or diode . You wont always get a light at first when this happens but it will cause the charging voltage to drop and cause hard steering. We see this in these all the time especially in hot weather or when the alternator has run for extended periods. One way to test it is when it is making the noise is to disconnect the alternator plug and see if the tone of the noise changes or goes away . The only problem with testing it this way is the heat from the exhaust and engine. We use thick gloves to protect out hands when disconnect the plug so if you don't have a pair of good gloves don't try this.