thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

Need to retrieve radio code for 03 Acura TL. I tried

Customer Question

Need to retrieve radio code for 03 Acura TL. I tried pressing the 1and 6 but it didn't work. My vin # is 19UUA56753A012726. Hope this helps thanks
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive looked in the handbook sometimes the code is in there, and like I said before I've tried to press 1and 6 to get the code but it didnt work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

We will need to get the serial number off of the radio to get the code from the Honda database.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
  2. Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the battery cables for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
  3. Turn OFF the device.
  4. Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
  5. The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
  6. And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
  7. Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm seeing COdE on screen now. I turned Off device, hold the 1&6 and turned back On its showing Err3....
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Did you already disconnect the battery and start over?

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Does your car have navigation?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the car has navigation
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

There is a different procedure for the models with navigation and I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Give me a second to see if I can look it up.

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Try this:

1. Make sure COdE appears in the upper display. You can do this by briefly disconnecting the battery.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ACC (I), and turn off the audio unit.

3. Press and hold the top halves of the SEEK/SKIP and CH/DISC bars, then press and release the PWR/VOL knob. The display toggles between two screens. The first screen displays a U and the first four digits of the serial number (for example U1234). The second screen displays an L and the last four digits of the serial number (for example L5678). Ignore the letters U and L, and use the eight digit serial number on the iN.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok...I'll have that to try later. My daughter has the car now thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Once we get that serial number we can get the unlock code from honda. Their database is crashed at the moment, so there's no rush to get it. It was working fine this morning, so I suspect they should have it back up shortly.

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Hi, do you still need help with this?