Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Have passed the 100k on my 2009 RDX Turbo, the dealer is

Customer Question

Have passed the 100k mark on my 2009 RDX Turbo, the dealer is recommending the timing belt be replaced (around $1000 they quote). I had a 1999 Acura TL that I took to 180k miles that never needed the timing belt replaced.
Am I fool to not have this replaced now, based on my past history with the TL?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

The 2009 Acura RDX 2.3L Turbo engine does not have a timing "belt". It has a timing "chain". There is no service interval at which the timing chain needs to be replaced as part of any maintenance schedule. The chain was designed to last the life of the vehicle without the need for any sort of maintenance. The chain is replaced on a "need-to" basis, which on these engines is few and far between. Not quite sure what the Dealer is trying to pull on you here... but it might be worth getting a second opinion. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Chris! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful and informative?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..