Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2005 RL: The control lights have been working intermittently

Customer Question

2005 RL: The control lights have been working intermittently now for some time. Tonight, the lights started flashing inside car and all of a sudden it cut off while driving. No lights would come on in the car at all. After having it towed home, and checking the battery, it started but none of the control/panel or dash/door/cab lights would come on. Then when we turned the car off, it wouldn't start again. No lights, no crank, no nothing.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model of your '05 Acura?
Customer: RL
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 29 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I would like help. The car will not start. It will not even make a sound like it is trying to start. When I turn the key, all the entire dash instrument panel lights up and start to flicker/flash/dim and then nothing. The engine makes no sound at all, no clicking no nothing.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 28 days ago.

So far the symptoms point to a bad battery or poor battery connections.

What is the battery voltage on the posts, then on the cables? It should be about 12.6 volts with nothing electrical in the car on. With the headlights on and working the reading should be about 12 volts and match on the posts and cables.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Whatever is wrong has nothing to do with the battery. All that stuff is new and I already stated we checked the battery.

Do you own a volt meter?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.

How did you test the battery without a volt meter?

Since this is an electrical issue when need a way to test electronics, can you get a meter or are you not looking to diagnose and fix this concern yourself?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
All that stuff is new. Why would I keep looking at the same thing. I had the lighting issue prior to having the battery and cables replaced. That did not cure the problem and now it has cut off.

What would you like to know how to test since your not able to perform the tests I have outlined?

For no lights, no cranking, no nothing as you mentioned. I have to start and the the battery voltage and work out from there.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Then what comes after the determination that the battery voltage is correct? Let's start there.

If the battery voltage is good then we need to do electrical tests at the starter relay for the no crank issue.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 24 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris