thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

I just replaced the timing belt at the 105k mile service on

Customer Question

I just replaced the timing belt at the 105k mile service on my 2004 Acura TL. It was running fine before I did it. I got it buttoned up and tried to start it. It wouldnt start. I opened it all up again and the timing was slightly off so I redid it all. Buttoned it up again and it started and ran. I came out the next morning and it just turns over and won;t start. I have it all apart again and the timing is perfect. Any ideas what to look at to get it running?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

How many teeth was the timing wrong by?

More than likely it has bent valves now.

Can you do a compression test on all cylinders please?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was timed correctly the first time, but when I took it apart it had jumped about 5 teeth. I only tried to start it twice. I have to get it all back together now again to do a compression test.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, since the first time when the timing jumped and wouldn't start, it started and ran and idled just fine. But then I was done for the night. I came back out in the am and it only cranked but wouldn't start again. So, my guess is that it is not bent valves since it ran just fine after I retimed it.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok, I would recheck your belt timing again.

Sounds like it has jumped again.

The jump might be occurring when the engine stops.

If you are really lucky, it doesn't bend valves.

Something in your setup is not right, if it keeps jumping teeth.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It only jumped that first time. It hasn't jumped since. It's perfectly timed. And won't start. It's timed correctly just like when I set it (it didn't jump this time). It ran and idled after the setting. Then I came out in the morning and it just turns over and won't start.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok, so if the timing is correct now, can we do a compression test?

You also may need to do a leakdown test to determine which cylinders are affected.

5 teeth on many engines would have bent valves, inlet or exhaust, sometimes both.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
again, after the one time the belt jumped, the car ran and idled fine. I'm pretty sure if after the timing belt jumped I bent the valves, it would not have started when I corrected the timing belt. So I'm looking for more help than just repeating that maybe it's bent valves.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

I will offer your question to another tech.

Somebody should be with you soon.

Gary

Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, you will not get any other suggestions form me until the compression is tested. this is mandatory.1. the car was running fine. you replaced the timing belt and hopefully the tensioners too, because if you didnt, then thats why you jumped time.2. the car isnt running fine anymore. because of something you did incorrectly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I so appreciate the helpful tone of yours, new coming onto the question.I will test the compression when I have it back together. I was just hoping for any other possibilities you might have thought of. As I have said before, it has run and idled (and not jumped again) since the timing belt jumped that first time. To me that would say the valves are not bent. Hence why I am looking for other possibilities before I get it all back together again.

i hope i didnt offend you with that tone, as you say. i am to the point and only here to help. i go about my assistance as i would go about troubleshooting the vehicle my self.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't mind blunt or to the point. I just don't understand not listening or offering any other viable issues. I will check the compression after work tonight.

i will give you other possibilities if the compression is good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got stopped at the compression test last night because I don't have the HDS.It is sounding like it may be a battery issue. the battery is showing a low voltage.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was just a coincidental battery failure. It's too bad you folks wouldn't help me with answers.

wouldnt help you with answers??? with the information you provided it led to no conclusion it was the battery. knowing how to replace a timing belt would lead me to believe you would have an idea of a weak battery. good day

sorry we couldnt have been more help to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that would the exact attitude problem that I was having. Hopefully you have a good day too.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

New expert here, do you need any help? Sounds like you got it figured out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****! It took getting out of the mindset that what I touched is what was broken :)))
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes that happens, still happens to me at work once in a while.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Especially when its the first time doing that particular repair.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually I've done it before. Just made a bozo error in the beginning so I was trying to figure out what other error I might have made. Thank you for being encouraging.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I was a Honda tech for a while now work at Subaru.