Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2001 acura mdx awd auto trans. At the moment, the

Customer Question

Hi there,
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have a 2001 acura mdx awd auto trans. At the moment, the shifter is lock in between the park and reverse. I have replaced the brake light switch, but no response. I replaced the neutral safety switch still no changes. What could be causing the shifter to lock
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Yes I have. It's good
JA: Are you fixing your ZDX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm fixing the mdx myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This will do
Category: Acura
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Have you checked all fuses inside fuse block usually the gauge and brake fuse feed the shift lock if all ok you may need to access the lock solenoid to check for power and continuity. But in the mean time you can over ride that shift lock by opening the little cover and pushing down the over ride button as you shift. I'll give you a pick of what your looking for because there are a few different ones and locations. Hope this helps for now anf if you require further assistance I''l be happy to do so. Please rate my answer , thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What specific fuse am I looking for? I checked all fuse using multimeter. All fuse seems to be in working conditions. Is the lock solenoid the same as the shift solenoid? I have tried multiple times pressing down the shift lock but it still not letting me shift from park to neutral.

if pushing down the over ride does not release the shiftier you may have a mechanical problem , undo the cable end at the transmission and try that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I take off the shift link cable, the shifter shift smoothly, but once I attach the shift link cable back in place. It's not releasing it.

aw then the problem is internal in the trans mission, You may have to drop the transmission pan to investigate. the park pawl might be stuck or damaged.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In that case, do I need to take it to a shop to inspect it since I don't have all the tools.

by the sounds of it yes, if you have disconnected the shift cable at the trans mission you have eliminated any cable and shiftier mechanism problems and the problem is inside the transmission. Like I said either park pawl issues or valve body problems. The only way you can further tell is to drop the transmission pan to check.I'll send a couple pics to show you what I mean. one is a pic of a broken pawl that stops the shiftier from working.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. Thanks. Another question regarding the neutral safety switch. Is there's a way to set the position on the pin that is attach with the transmission to park?

Yes you can make adjustments at the neutral safety switch by loosening the two screws on each side of it and slightly rotating it so it starts in the park and neutral gate. Also the part of the lever that's attached to the transmission is slotted so when the transmission is in park, with the cable disconnected put the indicator in park and tighten the nut.

if your happy with my answer please rate me and ifyou require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. I got the neutral safety switch adjusted. But the shifter have a tough time shifting. What would coats to make the shifter stiff?

Originally you said when you disconnected the shift cable from the transmission it shifted fee and easy is it now hooked back up to the transmission?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After I adjusted the neutral safety switch. I hook back the cable to the transmission. The shifter shift stiff.

Like I said previously if it shifts easy and free disconnected and stiff when hooked back up to the tranny then it's in the tranny the problem . drop the pan and check the valve body.