sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 2008 Acura TL was driven thru high water about 10 days

Customer Question

My 2008 Acura TL was driven thru high water about 10 days ago. It has been parked since and now the brakes feel locked up, like the emergency brake is engaged. Any idea how to fix this problem?
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: The brakes were replaced approx. 3 months ago. I haven't checked the brake fluid recently.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was hoping to fix this myself. The problem was just discovered and I didn't have time to mess with the car much. All I've tried doing at this point is putting the car in gear and pressing on the accelerator a moderate amount to attempt to get the brakes to unstick, with no success.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I I'll check the brake fluid, but wouldn't suspect this is the issue as I checked it when I changed the brakes a few months ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If this happened as a result of driving through water then I would first suspect that either brake pads have rusted to rotors or an emergency brake issue. The emergency brake shoes may be rusted to the rotors due to trapped moisture in the hats of the rotors or it's possible that one of the shoes is broken. It isn't uncommon for emergency brake shoe material to break free of a backing plate and wedge between the rotor and shoe backing plate preventing the wheel from moving.

Have you raised the car to see what wheels would not turn?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I removed the brake pads on both wheels, brushed the rust off of them and the rotors but neither tire turns.

In the front or rear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Rear. The front wheels don't seem to have any issues but the rear tires are so locked up I leave skid marks in my driveway from dragging both rear tires when using the accelerator.

I'm assuming that the rotors wouldn't turn with the calipers removed. Assuming the emergency brake isn't set and hasn't' been used, the emergency brake shoes are most likely either broken or rusted to the rotors. The rotors are going to need to come off to inspect the shoes.