thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

This is for an '04 Acura TL, base model, with 155K miles. I

Customer Question

This is for an '04 Acura TL, base model, with 155K miles.
I want to run diagnostics on my AC system from page 21-10 from the shop manual, but I'm not seeing any activity. I turn the ignition to II, hold down the OFF button, press the recirculate button 5 times within 10 seconds, then let go of the OFF button. The area that usually shows the temperature is still off.
How long does it take to run the diagnostics, and does it say anything when it is running?
I'm pulling my hair out on this AC system and my wife's had it with me. It's been in the shop 8-10 times in the 4 years since I bought it and I've dropped $1500 so far, and each time they seem to replace some random part. The compressor has been replaced twice (for free) by the Toyota dealership I bought it from. The system seems to work fine (clutch engages, etc.) but will start blowing hot air. It could be an electrical connection since it can break or start working if I hit a bump. For that matter, it could be a damper problem. In fact, if I hit the center console it can start working.
That is, until the other day when I think I broke the HVAC head unit. I bought another off ebay, as well as a climate control ECU (79610-SEP-A44).
Current state:
- HVAC head unit from ebay plugged in.
- Blower blows hot air, and only on high speed. Changing the speed on the HVAC unit has no effect. The only way to stop the blower motor is to pull the fuse.
- Original climate control still plugged in because I can't see how to pull the plugs on it. It's not mounted to the firewall at the moment, so if it gets ground from the bracket I would get a fault there.
Help! We're currently blessed with non-lethal temperatures at the moment (I'm just outside of Dallas) and I want to get this going again before things get back to normal.
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to try to help. Given the amount of faults here please don't expect that this will be solved quickly especially since we are doing this via chat forum. There are multiple issues here so I want to make sure we address these in an efficient manner. I think this information may have gotten lost in your problem description, but what was the original problem you have been dealing with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It wouldn't blow cool air. Here in Texas, it's best to buy a car in the summer to really test the AC, but I bought it in February. Originally everything seemed to work fine other than just not blowing cool air. For example, I could turn the system on and off and see the AC compressor clutch toggle right along with it (I could see the RPM's drop when I turn it on). So that supports the possibility that it's only a damper problem. I was sitting in a drive-through the last time it went out, but I didn't hear anything moving in the dash. I can supply a list of what's been replaced tomorrow.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 month ago.

I will look for that list. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I reopen this question?I apologize for not getting back with you! My much-more reliable VW Passat (you read that right) also has AC issues and has been in the shop. Also, the yaw sensor failed thinking the car was in a spin, so it was like a maniac grabbing control of the car (while trying to avoid hitting other cars).I asked the local Acura dealership to scan and send me my repair records several days ago but haven't responded yet. I gave up on them and I'll get a CARFAX report on it.How do I unplug the climate control ECU (79610-SEP-A44)? I can't get a good look at the plugs, so I don't know if I should press a tab down, lift it up or anything. Whatever the case, the plugs feel like they're glued in the sockets.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unbelievable.  I just ordered a CARFAX report on the car, thinking I'd get a report on what's been replaced.  Apparently, I'm an idiot.- Goodson Acura in Dallas is where I've taken it about 4 times, since I used to work in the area.  They only show up ONCE.
- There's almost no mention of A/C work, and when it does, it just says "A/C system checked."I guess I'll pester them again tomorrow for scans of my records.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Placeholder response to keep question open. I have a family emergency right now and will have to do this a few times.