justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

Code p0740 where is switch located and can I do the repair

Customer Question

Code p0740 where is switch located and can I do the repair or is it a repair shop job.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: p 0740 and have not tried reset. Transmission acting up.
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 02 mdx
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to do myself, do not know where switch located.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Its a good start
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Give me just a moment while I type some information. THanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looking to fix switch myself, don't know where to find. If difficult, will farm out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Justin,,are you home
Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid just answer.I have been servicing only Honda/Acura vehicle for nearly 10 years so I know the brand well. The P0740 "torque converter clutch" code is what we call the transmission death code where I work. This highly indicates there is internal wear in the transmission. Typically the debris from internal wear clogs up internal ports in the transmission and cause the transmission to slip. You have two options here. One, you can attempt to have it repaired which is possible if you find a good rebuilder. Second is replace it which most of our customers do. There are generally too many unknowns once you break the transmission down to examine the damage. There is a company out in California called H&A which we use. They offer a good warranty with their units and we've had good success with them. You just call them up, give them your VIN number and they will give you a price. In some rare cases if the transmission isn't too far gone you can try a fluid replacement which is basically a drain and refill with factory Honda fluid. This rarely works. Honda does not recommend "flushing" as this typically causes more problems. There isn't a bad "switch" as you are suggesting. This code indicates issues within the transmission that won't be repaired by replacing any sensors or switches. I wish I had better news for you, but sadly this is the problem. We've replaced countless transmissions over the years so we know when we see this code it's bad news. If you have any more questions about this just let me know. Thanks!You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Vin=1HGFA15846L028405&Filter=(bt=4%2c8;et=2%2c3)&SubCategoryUrl=a-c-air-conditioner-compressor-1-8l&Diagram=&PartNumbers=

Please remember to rate me positively so I get credit for my advice. If you have any additional questions just let me know. Thanks!