thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

Well the VSA light with the triangle indicator keeps coming

Customer Question

Well the VSA light with the triangle indicator keeps coming on in my car. When it does the car slows down and I have a hard time accelerating. The check engine light is now on as well. When I took it to autozone they said the check engine light was on because of a fuse with switching gears or something like that. At that time the VSA indicator wasn't coming on. Could this just be an issue of a fuse or something else. The VSA light was coming on and causing the car not to accelerate properly 6 months ago and I was told it was because the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. Which I did get that done, but now this is happening again.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on, but after the car is turned off and back on it goes away again for a while.
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2005 tl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the catalytic converter replaced before. No, I cannot fix it myself, because I am a female I want to make sure what it could be before I got to get it fixed by a family mechanic so I don't end up in the same spot 6 months down the road again.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Do you have the specific code that they pulled when they checked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No i don't have it on me I'd have to look for it, he asked did I have trouble switching gears

Okay, without the code diagnosing this issue would be a shot in the dark. Would you be able to access the code for me? If the light is still on you can run by somewhere like Advance Auto and have them scan it for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Code P0957

Been away from my computer this weekend, so sorry I haven't responded back. This code would not cause the car lack acceleration. This code typically sets when there is low source (battery) voltage, or a voltage spike occurs. Usually you can clear this code using a scanner and it won't return. Is the VSA light on currently on and is the car giving trouble?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vsa light and symbol it goes off and on. When it comes on I have a hard time accelerating or maintaining whatever speed I'm at. The check engine light stays on constantly

Okay, the VSA light indicates that there is a stored code in the VSA computer. This is separate from the check engine light code. You will have to have this specific system scanned to be able to learn what code is stored in the VSA computer. Once you have this code I can then help you determine what may be causing the running problem. The code you gave me will not cause the problem you are experiencing.