Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

We have a 93 acura legend it would get hot but never over

Customer Question

we have a 93 acura legend it would get hot but never over heat into the red it will just get heat up then it will blow some steam and cool back off. so we did a compression test 180 all cylinders. so we figured water pump but after taking the water pump out i see nothing wrong with it...weve put new thermostat what else could be causeing this
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: i dont think so......i changed oil and
JA: Are you fixing your Legend yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im in yhe middle of water pump now but im having a heck of a tim e with timing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i need someone to explain how to line up timing marks tdc compression stroke/?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

With the timing belt off as long as all of the marks on the gears line up to the marks on the block and covers the engine will be at TDC of the compression stroke. Once the engine is rotated one complete turn is when the exhaust valves are open. The link below is the procedure for replacing the timing belt.

Timing Belt Service and Repair

Let me know when the vehicle was running hot and also if the cooling fans are coming on.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.