thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

2003 CL Type S, 230k miles. Twice when driving the engine

Customer Question

2003 CL Type S, 230k miles. Twice when driving the engine doesn't respond to the gas pedal and the engine slowly (3-4 seconds) dies. I can put into N and restart when moving. Assuming this could be caused by the drive-by-wire throttle body. If so, what would be the fix for this? Cleaning, replacement? Thanks
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer My name is***** here to help you with your problem. The 03 type- s TL has a traditional throttle that uses a cable . Acura didn't go to drive by wire until 2004 model year. So I think something else could be wrong.

Is the check engine light on?

When it starts to stall do all the gauges suddenly drop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is a CL, not a TL. The chk engine light has been lit for months, this issue just occurred last week. When this occurs the rpm does not go down right away, it takes about 5 seconds before it goes to 0 and the engine dies. Engine lights do not appear until then. I don't lose power steering.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It feels like the engine is not getting fuel and the gas pedal feels dead, no response.
Expert:  acramstr replied 2 months ago.

Ok, CL / TL same power train, just different body styles. What we see in these are main relay and Ignition switch failures. Usually when the ignition switch fails the gauges fall so lets rule that out for now. I Have seen Main relays act like this but usually when they fail the car will have a hard start when its hot inside the car. Since this is an intermittent problem lets start by checking the codes that are turning on the check engine light . They may give us a clue as where to start checking.