Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

It acts as if battery is dead as far as trying to start,

Customer Question

It acts as if battery is dead as far as trying to start, barley try to turn starter, lights all work and just took battery in to be tested and shows ok
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: took battery to parts store and had tested, shows fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 04 RSX
JA: What year is your Acura?
Customer: 04
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would take to shop but can't start it, can probably fix myself depending on issue,,,I've checked battery, checked cables, they appear fine, grounding appears fine, tried to jump start and it acts the same way
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My next idea was maybe the starter, but got on here to ask
Category: Acura
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

HI there,

Since you had no change with the jump start, then the next place would be the starter. I would check the positive battery cable right from the battery to the starter to make sure there isn't any swelling in the insulation. This could be corrosion inside the cable and that would reduce the power to the starter. This could cause drag.

That being said you could also have an internal issue with the engine, but I would think the starter would be the more likely culprit. If it's drawing to many amps, it could drag like a weak battery.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!