Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Vehicle won't start. Died while driving almost like the

Customer Question

Vehicle won't start. Died while driving almost like the alternator failed. Brand-new battery new alternator a few weeks ago. When I put the jump box on the battery it's sparks a lot and the battery is hooked up correctly. So I disconnected the battery and hook the jump box directly to the positive and negative battery terminal's and the negative terminal is hot but the positive terminal that goes straight to the alternator is scorching hot. Please advise. 2006 Acura TL 3.2L
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. Somewhere in the system the positive voltage is reaching ground. The first place I would check is the alternator- unplug the alternator and see if the sparking stops when connecting the battery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you mean unplug the connector at the alternator or disconnect the large power wire to the alternator?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Both, but disconnecting the large power wire at the alternator would probably be sufficient.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK we disconnected both and the vehicle is running. We isolated the short to the actual connector with four pins. Please advise
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

So the 4 pin connector is shorting or the alternator is shorting internally? I would probably suspect the alternator would be more likely to cause that type of dead short.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

If it's just the connector then look for burn marks or broken pins in the connector.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's what I am not sure of. The vehicle is now running while the jump box is hooked up and nothing is getting hot but if we hook up the connector to the alternator all the wires get really hot in the vehicle will not start at all not crank either
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Do you have an old alternator you could plug into the connector? That would tell you if the problem is in the alternator or the connector.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I don't and I just realized the alternator is original not replaced. The wires and the connector look flawless. I've never seen this issue before but if I had to bet I would guess it's the alternator. I might grab a OEM factory alternator from the salvage yard tomorrow and install it to flip it
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help on this one.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks I'll be in touch
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good.