thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

I was just reading what one of your assistants told a fellow

Customer Question

Hello. I was just reading what one of your assistants told a fellow 1991 acura legend owner regarding unlocking a radio. The battery was changed so the radio display now shows "code" I have the original card showing the radio serial number as B20452276 and a code of 63334. I've entered the code but the radio doesn't come back on. The previous tech suggested 2 possible codes. What can I do?
JA: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See my original message
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem.

Did all the preset buttons work before the battery was disconnected?

It is possible the radio card does not match the radio. Try this : turn the radio off then Press and hold 1 and 6 preset buttons ,Then turn the radio on and release the buttons . tell me what the screen reads out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing I did as you said radio was off and I turned it on while holding the preservation number 1 and 6 released them when it came on but the only thing in the display was the word code which shows as COdE with a small d all the rest are caps
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

Ok, when it says code press 6 5 times and see if the display changes at all or the radio beeps. It could be that 6 preset button is bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I pressed it 5 times and got a beep
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's the same beep I got when I entered the code on the card
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 months ago.

Ok lets pull the radio and get the serial number from the tag on the radio itself. Its easy to take out. First take the 2 screws out of the cavity under the ash tray ,Then take the plastic ring out from around the shifter it just pulls up. Then pull up the wood grain bezel around the shifter starting at the back toward the console . It will pull up . Then you will see 2 screws by where the first 2 were . Take them out and pull the radio forward to see the tag. post back this number if it isn't the same as on the card.