Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Need help diagnosing battery drain on 2009 Acura MDX.

Customer Question

Category: Acura
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The most likely cause is your hands free link. They fail so often that acura released a bulletin about it a couple of years ago. That's the first place I would start checking for a draw. Do you plan to fix it yourself?

Do you have a multi-meter?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Here is the bulletin from acura:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have done extensive troubleshooting and have used a multi-meter to measure amp draw on battery with ignition off. After pulling every fuse and relay the only info I could conclude is that when I pull the backup camera relay or fuse then replace it, I get a 2 amp spike on my Metter and it settles back down to a steady 0.06 - 0.09 amp draw. Have replaced my AC clutch relay and also unplugged my Bluetooth in the back console. Does this sound like the hands free? How can I test
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Check it as described in the bulletin, next hook up your meter, let all the modules sleep and then pull the hands free connector to see if the amp draw drops.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Here is the location of the connector:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will give it a try. Where do I disconnect the HFL, I don't see a fuse for it. Do I need to open the steering wheel?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Unless you don't have the roof mount unit on the 2009- in which case it is here:

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It's under the center console on the 2009:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried pushing the talk back button as described in the bulletin and I don't hear a beep. Tried finding the disconnect in the roof buy not sure which connects to HFL.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you able to see my photo to compare? I removed the green and black plug and I think I don't have a draw anymore. Do you have any info on how to fix for good? Do I need to replace the switch in the steering wheel?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear: on the 2009 MDX the HFL connector is under the center console. As seen in the third attachment I sent.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help.

If not, please don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Your question has dropped to my timed out list.