Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Replaced a starter in a '03 Acura RSX and the computer has

Customer Question

Replaced a starter in a '03 Acura RSX and the computer has started throwing a P1077 code. After I reset it, it comes back in 5ish minutes.
I (because I look for fun) kept the car turned on throughout the original swap operation (because, you see, I needed to listen to the radio) and I wonder if that fried anything in the process.
Checked the wiring - seems to be supplying the right voltages, checked the IMRC resistance, it is 8.67kOhms and 3.13kOhms between pins A/B and B/C respectively.
Whaaaaaat could it beeeee? :)
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. Thanks

I do not have access to your email address,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm fine with getting the reply on the forum?
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I might be able to put the test in my dropbox as a PDF.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

I have the test instructions in a PDF format, at the following link. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page. Thanks

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvtb8d2tw3iqywj/P1077.pdf?dl=0

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

It is showing that you are waiting for me. Let me send this as a test, thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry, but the pages 11-173 to 11-176 of the car's service manual does not quite fit the custom question-based help I was hoping for.Considering that the job was done with the car powered on, that all of the connections were made air tight and that the electrical system seems to be functioning correctly as well - could it be anything else? Fuse #4 under dash is not blown.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but a blown fuse won't give you that trouble code, it has nothing to do with the "car's service manual" and it's probably just a bad IMRC actuator or valve. In fact according to the test the resistance is too high on the reading, (B/C) that you stated, thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
http://imgur.com/a/c6h0H is what I meant regarding the manual. What the help was was a direct q
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
quote from the DC5 service manual.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was curious how the actuator/valve could've gone bad right at the time of a job.As far as resistances go: 8.67 and 3.13 on the old one, 9.33 and 2.66 on a brand new from the store one. Doesn't seem like a dramatic change there either. <confusion continues>
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry but after reviewing your history I am no longer able to help with it, thanks

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

YOU CAN FRY THINGS IF SHORTS A CURE BUT TRY THIS FIRST DTC P1077: IMRC SYSTEM MALFUNCTION (LOW RPM)

Special Tools Required

Vacuum pump/gauge, 0-3 in. Hg A973X-041-XXXXX

1. Reset the ECM/PCM.

2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 RPM with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on. Is DTC P1077 indicated?

YES - Go to step 3.

NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor
connections or loose terminals at the intake manifold runner control
(IMRC) solenoid valve and at the ECM/PCM.

3. Disconnect the vacuum hose (A) from the intake manifold runner control (IMRC) actuator (B), and connect a vacuum pump to the hose.

Is there vacuum with the engine at idle?

YES - Go to step 11.

NO - Go to step 4.

4. Check the vacuum hose between the IMRC actuator and IMRC solenoid valve.
Is the vacuum hose OK?

YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Repair the blockage or vacuum leak between the IMRC actuator and
IMRC solenoid valve.

5. Disconnect the lower vacuum hose (A) from the IMRC solenoid valve (B), and connect a vacuum pump to the hose.

Is there vacuum?

YES - Go to step 6.

NO - Repair the blockage or vacuum leak between the intake manifold and IMRC solenoid valve.

6. Reconnect the lower vacuum hose to the IMRC solenoid valve, and connect a vacuum pump to the vacuum hose (A).

7. Disconnect the IMRC solenoid valve 2P connector.
Is there vacuum?

YES - Go to step 8.

NO - Replace the IMRC solenoid valve.

8. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

9. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector B (24P).

10. Check for continuity between IMRC solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair short in the wire between the ECM/PCM (B22) and the
IMRC solenoid valve.

NO - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or
substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the
original ECM/PCM.

11. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

12. Connect a vacuum pump to the IMRC actuator (A), then apply vacuum.

Does the IMRC actuator hold vacuum?

YES - Go to step 13.

NO - Replace the IMRC valve assembly.

13. Disconnect the IMRC valve position sensor 3P connector.

14. At the sensor side, measure resistance between IMRC valve position sensor 3P connector terminals No. 2 and No. 3.

Is there about 9.5 kohm at room temperature?

YES - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or
original ECM/PCM.

NO - Replace the IMRC valve assembly.

THIS IS THE INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER VALVE , IT'S LOCATED OVER THE ALTERNATOR ATTACHED TO INTAKE MANIFOLD. QUITE A JOB IF YOUR NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED