Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just purchased this car. It's a 98 Acura CL with 180,000

Customer Question

I just purchased this car. It's a 98 Acura CL with 180,000 miles on it. At first it would start but then die. I finally got it to start by putting the peddle to the floor and was able to drive it home. I turned it off but it wouldn't restart. Battery power was too low so charged it back up and tried again. Took about 2 tries and battery was down again. Swapped batteries. Got a little action but not enuf to start car. Now it has new battery and everything is getting power but when I turn the key I'm getting nothing. I checked for bad connections, checked fuses etc. and I'm at a loss as to what to do. At first it seemed like it wasn't getting fuel, so started with fuel relay, almost bought fuel pump. Haven't installed it yet. So my questions are:
1. Could I have somehow have caused the car to shut off something in the system and if so how do I reset it?
2. Do I install the fuel relay and buy ignition switch, install it and try that? What else should I check?
3. I don't have a code reader but my ABS light is on. Engine warning light comes on but goes off normal. Would buying a code reader be next step? I am a 67 year old female and scared to death I bought a lemon. I bought it at a car recovery auction so no way to take it back.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I did have it running, it purred and ran great. It took a lot of tries to get it started. Could I have burned out the ignition switch, starter, alternator, etc,? The car appears to have been well maintained. Engine very clean, fluids up and clean, only thing I see is it's burning the gas too rich, I have black carbon in tail pipe. It recently had a tube up. Came with old wires etc.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.
  • If you turn the key on then jump across the 2 wires at the starter briefly will it then crank and start?

Thanks Chris