Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech
7276279

I have a 1998 acural rl, tried to turn up display lights,

Customer Question

I have a 1998 acural rl, tried to turn up display lights, still can't see odometer mileage. It does not light up. Also, when I look at it more closely, it seems the numbers are just showing all 88888, not the actual mileage. I saw on you tube someone fixing the the odometer light for a 1999 acura tl (different model and year) without resetting the odometer back to zero. He changed the print panel and a few bulbs. cost was about 50.00 for all parts from acura. Can u tell me how to fix my problem so I can see the mileage.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKN4-kMOC0Q
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: just bought the car. When I test drove it, everything seemed fine. Did not check bulbs. Everything on display works except for odometer, at night light doesn't come on. When I look really close at the mileage it doesn't show mileage. In the you tube video on a 1999 acura, even though the light wasn't on you still can see the mileage. He changed the print panel circuit and a few bulbs. In my car 1998 acura rl, I can't see the mileage, well I can see numbers after looking close up, but no mileage reading.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want someone else to fix it. Unless it is easy enough to do it myself. I was thinking maybe the previous owner simply, accidentally disconnected the odometer only.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I was thinking all the other gauges seem to be working. I don't know if the speedometer is working since I can't take the car out on the road. I think it is working. oh, also, the check engine light is on and the maintenance required light is on. but i don't think it has anything to do with not being able to see odometer reading.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Your odometer and speedometer are one assembly and not service separately and if the speedometer is working properly and you are not able to read the mileage on the odometer then your not likely looking at bad bulbs but more likely a failing cluster. Since the check engine light is on I would start with having the system scanned to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will help you determine if its related to the cluster or something separate.