acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

I have an 2003 Acura TL and it shuts down while driving it

Customer Question

I have an 2003 Acura TL and it shuts down while driving it no matter where I am and what speed I'm traveling. Before shutting off the gauge lights come on and it stops responding to the gas pedal being pressed. It usually takes a few minutes before it will start again.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I spoke to my mechanic about it and he thinks the fuel pump is shutting off when it gets hot and once it cools off it starts back up. I'm wondering if it is the ignition switch or module. There is no CEL so I cant pinpoint the issue.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 3 months ago.

hi I"MCustomer This is actually a pretty common problem on this model. In fact at one time there was a recall for this. What you need is the electrical portion of the Ignition switch. what happens is the contacts inside the switch wear and burn out causing the car to shut down, Then when they cool down they will make contact again and the car will run. The part is easy to change and it cost about $98.00 The part number is *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What's this part called and where is it located on the vehicle
Expert:  acramstr replied 3 months ago.

Sorry it is called the electrical portion of the Ignition switch, It is screwed to the back of the Ignition lock with 2 screws just remove the column covers and you will see it at the back of the switch. here is a picture of how it fits.