acuragold74
acuragold74, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  17 years with honda master tech
3827149

Acura MDX: No GPS signal despite replacing the GPS antenna

Customer Question

I have and Acura MDX 2007 and it doesnt want to get gps signal. So I went ahead and did a diagnostic on it and the gps antenna comes white and everything else comes green! So I went ahead and replaced the antenna but no result, it still with the same thing.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

I need to get the last 8 of the vin to pull the schematcs for this. Also, when you did the diagnostics, did you retrieve any fault codes and if so, what are they?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I just held down the map/guide menu and cancel buttons and then I did the navigation test.
Expert:  acuragold74 replied 11 months ago.

Did you let the truck idle for about half an hour facing south? This will restart the Navigation system.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How to I do that? It says the problem is with the gps antenna!It's not reading it. I have a new one and installed it but same thing; it comes out white when diagnosing or either red when done! In the disclaimer screen it doesn't show the OK button.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent you a picture there; wherein it says gps it stays white and the other stuff goes green except for gps! Its an Acura MDX 2007 by the way.

Yes thats because the antenna has to calibrate like I stated above. Have you tried that? Also remove and reinstall the navigation dvd and then make sure its working.

Reset Navigation

• Drive your Acura to an open area, away from buildings, with a clear view of the sky, in case your car's navigation system needs satellite information.

• Enter the 4-digit anti-theft security code on the display under "Enter Code:". You will see the navigation system display "Incorrect Pin" if you make an error. You have ten chances to enter the correct security code. The security code will unlock and reset the navigation system.

• Turn the ignition to the "Off" position, then to the "On" position if you entered the security code incorrectly ten times. This reset procedure will provide you with ten more chances to enter the code correctly. Do not enter the navigation system PIN, which is a different, optional number that's not the same as the anti-theft security code.

• Enter the correct 4-digit security code if you made mistakes previously. You will see a Disclaimer screen appear when you enter the correct code. Read the Disclaimer screen, and then push the Interface dial on the display to select "OK.

• Contact your Acura dealer if you cannot find your security codes. You received the navigation system security code and the audio security code when you first purchased your car. Keep your codes in a safe place if you must get them from your dealer.

Reset GPS

• Wait for up to ten minutes as the GPS resets. You'll see a "Wait" message on the display screen. You will see the Disclaimer screen when the navigation systems finds the satellites.

• Turn off the engine after 30 minutes of seeing the screen displaying instructions with the message, "Navigation system is unable to acquire a proper GPS signal," and then restart your car. The GPS initialization will be complete if you see the Disclaimer screen and a green GPS icon in the upper-left corner.

• Follow the instructions on the screen if the GPS system still cannot get a signal. Move your car to another location, turn off the ignition switch, disconnect your battery for 30 minutes and then reconnect your battery, following the prompts on the screen.

If none of this works then its the actual navigation unit itself is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's the problem that the disclaimer screen doesn't show the OK button!

Have you disconnected the battery and tried that entire process again?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The problem is that on this vehicle the hfl module was dead so it was making the battery die quickly so i replaced it and now the battery is working fine so everytime the battery got disconeted the navi system resets so one day the disclaimer screen didnt show the OK anymore so since that day my vehicle is like that! So i need a fix for this!

You need to focus on the navigation unit itself now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done everything you said and the gps came back and then damage again

This is telling me the there a problem with the actual navigation unit itself .Have you tried to disconnect the navigation unit itself and then reconnect it to see if there is any difference .Its that communication line from the navigation unit to the rest of the system has shorted out internally which I have seen before .Sorry for the went to visit my daughter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can I do that disconnect and connect? Do you have any videos, diagrams or something?

Let me see what I can post for you .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
because I don't know why the gps antenna comes out white like it isn't reading it!

That's why I am leaning towards the navigation unit itself that's where everything communicates.

The Navi DVD in the 2008 MDX is located under the driver's side seat. It's on page 117 of the Navigation Manual.Make sure the door is closed and the dvd is in it then try to disconnect it for 15 minutes and then reconnect it if there still an issue that unit is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where can i get a good unit

The best place to actually get a good unit within price range would be ebay . These are most of the time dealer employees selling on here to make extra money. This is your best option. Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can u find one and send me the link of all parts needed to get my navigation up and running again the price dont matter please

Yes absolutely just give me a few minutes to post the link for you .