sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2005 Acura TL. The Nav screen is blinking. I have

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2005 Acura TL. The Nav screen is blinking. I have tried to reset it be connecting the battery terminals, but no change. I also pressed the Menu, Cancel and Menu buttons but still get the same black and white mini squares. Also the audio system does not work.
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is almost certainly being caused by an internal failure in the radio. A poor power or ground could potentially cause something like this but if the radio does work at all then odds are there isn't a power or ground issue.

Nonetheless the powers and grounds shoudl be tested and if ok at the time the radio isn't working then it will either need to be replaced or sent out to somewhere such as United Radio for repair.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This answer is too simplistic. Both power and ground are fine. The main issue is not the radio, but the fact that the screen is displaying a blinking black and white pattern. At the very least, I need to be able to determine if the problem is the screen, the navigation DVD unit or the main unit that houses the CD player, radio, etc.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the radio is a self contained unit. Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
VIN is 19UUA66285A032398. The radio itself is not self-contained. I am talking about the dash unit that contains the screen, radio, CD and navigation buttons. I need to know what needs to be repaired - the screen, the DVD unit in the trunk or the dash unit itself.

This is almost surely a failure of the display screen if it works for no function. You've tested the powers and grounds at the screen itself?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, haven't tested the ground and power at the screen itself. It is an ordeal to get to the screen itself. Why do you think it is the screen. I don't understand how that would make the radio/CD player not respond at all. I've also noticed that the clock is working, but is not registering the right time. Appears that it is not synching with the satellite.

What powers and grounds did you test?

Do you have a scan tool capable of communication with all modules?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I don't have a scan tool. I don't think it is a power/ground issue though. The car was working when i turned it off. Then, it wasn't working when i turned it back on. And, it is getting power or the screen would be blank.

It could be a poor power or ground and is something that should be tested before replacing expensive parts. This isn't really something you'd want to replace expensive parts for without knowing for sure they had failed.

Has there been any recent work done, a jump start, etc?

Have you tried a battery disconnect?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, no recent work or jump start. I did try to reset the system by removing the battery cables and touching them together based on an answer on this site, but no change in the symptoms.
There seems to be a lot of postings on the acurazine site the navi dvd unit is the culprit. What do you think?

Was audio control lost at exactly the same time the screen issue started?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't remember the exact sequence of events. I believe that the first few times i started the car, i had the black and white screen and the audio did not work. But, there was one time, when the screen was blank and the radio worked. However, when i re-started the car, it was back to the black and white screen and no audio.
Note: I do have an after-market unit that provides bluetooth or USB connection of my iphone through the nav head unit. I do not think that is the problem though since i can still charge my phone through the usb connection.

It's very possible that could be causing the issue. Can you disconnect it and see if anything changes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It can't be disconnected without taking the whole dash apart. I have reset it, but no change. Interesting thing this morning. Twice, after i had driven the car for 4-5 minutes, the screen stopped its flashing lines of black and white, and went blank with a back light. It continued that way until i turned the car off.

It's not something you're hoping to diagnose and repair yourself then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I want to diagnose it myself. I just don't want to remove the head unit in the console if it is the DVD player in the trunk.

It's going to take some physical work and testing to determine what is going on. I would recommend unplugging the screen to see if that makes a difference, but in any event a scan tool would be necessary to diagnose it accurately.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where does the scan tool plug in? Will someone like AutoZone have one, or will i need to take to the dealer? Seems like there should be a way to determine if the DVD unit is bad before having to remove the entire console unit?
A scan tool connects to the data link connector under the dash. A shop or dealer would have an actual scan tool. Unfortunately there isn't a way to know exactly what is causing an electrical problem with out electrical testing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am guessing that a Scan Tool would not actually point to what the problem is, right? How would you recommend that I go about diagnosing the problem?

A scan tool doesn't tell you exactly what is wrong with a vehicle, it's up to the user to analyze fault codes and data and perform necessary testing.

The choices will be to perform the necessary testing using a scan tool and electrical diagnostics or you can try replacing parts in hopes that fixes it. As I mentioned previously you can try unplugging some components in the system and see if any control is regained, any actual testing deeper than that is going to require equipment.