Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I broke my acura tl 2012 key and not it doesnt have the fob

Customer Question

I broke my acura tl 2012 key and not it doesnt have the fob attached so I cannot start the car. It shows the green key light in the dash. I had a spare key as well that didnt have the fob on it, but I could unlock the door by turning the key. i tried to start the car with that key as well and the same issue came up
Category: Acura
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello

if you still have the original fob then the cheapest fix is to get your local locksmith to cut you a new mechanical key blank and then move the electronic innards over from the original broken fob to the recut key

if the original fob is broken beyond this then I'm sorry to say its now a problem which requires the dealer level softare to sort out

as you'll need to re-code a new key ( or 2) to match to the car

sorry its not a more DIY answer but this is usually the case with security systems

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
f**k.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had to have two other keys made because my car was stolen. The broken key that I have is the spare and then I have one that doesn't have a fob attached
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

OK

how broken is the broken key ?

do you think you could remove the electronic guts and transfer them over to a new blank?

usually there's a small screw to undo and the fob then prises apart