Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2011 Acura TL with brand new battery because would not start

Customer Question

2011 Acura TL with brand new battery because would not start with original battery. However, now, won't start with new battery. charge it and it is dead the next day. Thought we disconnected the HFL as that may be it, but no effect.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No and brand new
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes; tried disconnecting green cable through sunroof box; thought that may be the HFL
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Acura
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have tried replacing one relay (we think it is the relay associated with the A/C clutch compressor, but not entirely sure; on the fuse diagram, it has the 'snowflake' on it, but there are 2 that do); car seems to have a parasitic draw, more than what the HFL would be doing. Just not sure what is draining the battery.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

I believe I can help on this issue. If help is still needed, please reply and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was expecting an answer-- am I not seeing it or is your answer that you can help?? If easier please call me(###) ###-#### I thought I would have an answer within 24 hours and feel like I do not have one (?). Let me know something ASAP please.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will add that while driving, I could hear what sounded like a clicking sound coming from over by the glove compartment while driving. However, when the car is turned off, that sound still occurs which is likely what it is draining the battery. However I do not know if it is something related to the compressor valve being stuck or something electrical. Either way it is a parasitic draw resulting in a flat battery.

With the new battery will the car power up things (like the instrument cluster) and will the engine at least crank?

To diagnose a drain we need a digital volt meter, do you own one?

Key or push button start?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when the battery is charged the car starts easily and everything is operational. We do have a voltmeter. As I mentioned we have replaced one relay already. It is a pushbutton start. Assuming we tested correctly, the battery was still drawing 8+ amps with the relay removed.

Lets make sure your testing right.

1. Drive the vehicle for at least 15 minutes.
  2. At home with the vehicle off, hood open, windows down, no hood light on if applicable.
  3. Remove the negative battery cable
  4. Connect a meter to the battery negative post and post.
  5. Meter set to DC volts milliamps
  6. After 30 minutes see what the draw is.
  7. Max should be no more than 80 mA which is 0.08 amps
  8. If its excessive start removing and leaving out fuses one by one till the draw drops to an acceptable level.
  9. This will tell us which circuit is to blame.
  10. You can not open the door or this will signal a module for the door ajar and lights, if you have to then you will need to wait 30 minutes for all modules to go back asleep.

Let me know these results.

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris